For the second installment in the Glow On Girl series, I decided to talk about my current favorite highlighters. Highlighting (or strobing) is a quick way to add healthy glow to the skin and make you look like you were kissed by baby unicorns and sprinkled with fairy dust. All of these highlighters are brown girl friendly and can be used lightly or built up depending on the intensity you wish to achieve. Let’s jump into everything.
1. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal – This highlighter is described as a “golden opal pearl” but on my skin it shows up more as a pinky, taupe-y gold with a frosted finish. This highlighter is very pigmented so it’s best to start with a little product and build it up to the desired intensity. The powder is soft, almost creamy, which makes it very blendable but can also mean that the powder shatters more easily (as seen but the 1st pic).
2. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Radiant Light – This powder, which is described as a “golden beige” shows up almost matte in the picture, but don’t be fooled! Though this powder does not have any obvious shimmer it adds a glow that is perfect for everyday wear and leaves you looking like you’re glowing from within.
3. ColourPop Highlighter in Most Necessary – This is definitely the pinkest (and cheapest) of the bunch. ColourPop describes this as a “soft copper with rosy gold highlights” and I find that it adds the prefect glow to my skin when I’m wearing pink blushes. Though it shows up pretty intense in the swatch and can almost be mistaken for a shimmery blush, it shows up less pigmented and metallic when sheered out on the skin.
4. TheBalm’s Betty Lou-Manizer – Though lighter skin tones may use this as a glow-y bronzer, on my skin it shows up as a beautiful bronze highlight with a touch of gold. I love this highlighter because it leaves a gorgeous glow without being very shimmery. It is also pretty close to my skin tone so I can be very heavy-handed with this without looking like I lost my mind. This is definitely one of the most flattering highlighters out there for brown skin. Plus, it can be used as an eyeshadow as well!
5. TheBalm’s Mary Lou-Manizer – This highlighter is the lightest of the bunch. On my skin it shows up as a light champagne-gold. Like it’s sister, Betty Lou-Manizer, it is not obviously shimmery but adds an amazing glow. This highlighter may seem a little too light for my skin but when used with a very light hand it is absolutely gorgeous. So that’s it! These are my five favorite highlighters for summer 2015. What are some of your favorite highlighters? Please leave them in the comments below and don’t forget to rate and subscribe!